Wednesday, September 16, 2009

BIG SURPRISE!

The morning after the wedding, reception and stitches (august 22) I woke up only to realize that my water broke! It was actually kind of scary. It was exactly four weeks before I was due and I thought oh no this is too early! Anyway, Ryan Todd Massey entered this world at 8:50 p.m. and weighed 5 lbs 6 oz and was 19 inches long. At first he was doing pretty good. He just needed a little bit of oxygen, but then the next night at midnight I had my doctor and the neonatologist come and wake me up in my room to tell me that Ryan was really struggling and not looking good. I just sat and cried. The next morning they gave him some surfactant which was supposed to work immediately and it didn't. We were pretty scared. They were almost to lifelight him and then he finally was able to start keeping up his oxygen levels with the help of the cpap (which before wasn't working.). He was in respiratory distress and had preterm lung disease. He was such a fighter though! In order to give him the surfactant they had to tranquilize the poor guy. But after 8 days in the hospital we finally got to bring him home with some oxygen! Last week he was able to go entirely without any oxygen! And now he is doing absolutely fantastic! We love our little guy and Ashton and Reagan give him LOTS of hugs and kisses! He will be four weeks old Saturday September 19 (his actual due date!)! We feel so blessed for the technology and knowledge of the human body that we have and that we just got a neonatologist in this area a few months ago so that we didn't have to be lifelighted! Also, I am extremely blessed to have a wonderful husband who was constantly running around keeping up on everything during Ryan's first two weeks! He watched and played with the kids and would bring them to the nursery to look at Ryan, cleaned house, and basically played mommy and daddy for me! Thanks, I love you babe!













12 comments:

Marcy said...

I love all the updates! I miss you! You guys make some cute babies :) I hope everything is going well... We need to get together when I come out in November ok?

Barrettes and Bows said...

Lauren!!

Wow I had no idea you had so many troubles with little Ryan. We are so glad everything is okay. We love you guys.

Josh and Kristen said...

Oh my heck! What an emotional time for you! I am so happy that everything is okay and that you have your sweet baby home. He is perfect! I am so sorry to hear about how scary it was for you, and so happy to hear that he is doing well now!

Kandice said...

Well I found your blog and got caught up! What kind of friend am I?!?
I hope all is going well. Good luck, and we will try to fit in a girls night soon...(that cute little boy can be one of the girls if he wants too!) ttyl.

p.s.I have your ward cookbook!

Jeana said...

Im so glad he is doing well. What a scare you had, I've been thinking about you lots. Your kids are soooo cute.

Ivy Lou said...

Wow! What a story to tell! I am glad things are going well for you now. What cutie pies you have!!

I hope YOU are doing well, too!

jen said...

Congrats again! I didn't realize 9-19 was the due date! I guess the good news is that he wasn't born on National "Talk Like a Pirate" Day!!

Jesenia said...

Wow, congrats, he is beautiful. I am sorry it was a crazy scary situation, but I am glad that he is okay. Hope all is well. We hope to come and visit soon. Take care.

Lindsey Whiting said...

Lauren, we're so glad that Ryan is healthy, what a blessing. I hope you are surviving the adjustment to 3 okay. :0) The wedding cake for Whitney's reception is absolutely beautiful! You did an amazing job, sorry about Ashton's lip. You guys should start to get some discount with how many times you have had to visit the hospital. I would ask about it next time. :0)

Mindy said...

dear jared and lauren i am sorry we have lost touch with you two it sounds as if you had quite the ordeal, i am so happy that every thing turned out ok, i can only imagine what a trying time it must have been. i found your blog when i was bored and decided to see if i could find what you two where up to on google and there you were. anyway i would love to get back in touch with ya's give me a call if you get a chance and we can catch up. love ed godnick and family.

Nick and Ashlee Weber Family said...

It is a good thing that Jared is his dad, good tough jeans. It looks like you all are doing well and are making a great looking family. I wish we were living closer so that we could see everyone's kids along with all of my family. Maybe someday. Take care.
Nick

Stacey said...

HI! I haven't read your blog in awhile, so much has gone on! Congrats on the new baby! On the Wedding and on Jared turning 30! That's crazy that your sis married his bro.
Well, we got get our husbands to call eachother so we can hangout.
Tell Jared it's ok to hang out with friends too, not just family.
jk
sorry we missed the blessing!!